Friday, June 26, 2009

King of Pop

I think my brother was singing to Michael Jackson's songs even before he could speak. His true admiration of Michael started then and continued to grow, as it did with the rest of the world, ever since.

That was how he came into my life.

A lot of really vague, unimportant childhood memories have remained through these years because they are associated with Michael Jackson songs. I have a home video of me at Christmas. I was probably 2 or 3 years old. I was wandering around the Christmas tree, when I stopped right in front of the camera and sang "..it's black, it's white." My version of, at the time, my favorite Michael Jackson song.

I remember road trips with my cousins to Disneyland and Vegas, singing at the top of our lungs You Are Not Alone.

I remember my brother forcing me to sit through the making of the Thriller music video so that I would no longer be afraid to listen to, and watch that video.

I'm pretty sure I could go on. But just like the rest of the world, the reason I am writing this blog is because I'm sad. I'm sad for his family and his kids. I'm sad for his fans. I'm sad for my brother who never failed to let any one know that Michael Jackson was his idol and how his only dream was to meet him. I'm sad for everyone else in the world who felt the exact same way. I'm sad for music. I'm sad for the world. I don't think there is anyone on this earth who doesn't know who he is. And that says so much about him.

Michael Jackson was the King of Pop and his legend will definitely live on.

_ _ _

Current listen: MJ all day everyday.

No comments: